Thursday, December 29, 2011

My First Attempt ever at making Bagels!!

So I woke up at 9:30 today (Christmas break....finally I get to sleep in!)
and the first one of the first thoughts that came into my head, was: I should try to make bagels!!!
First thing I did was google recipes & came across one from Allrecipes
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boiled-bagels/detail.aspx
I altered the recipe a little, & changed a couple things.
I work at Tim Hortons, and they sell many bagels, so I thought that they can't be too hard to make. Right??
Wrong! They are very time consuming!!
I know how to make bread so this should be similar-except for the boiling, broiling, etc.
Anyways, enough talk, lets get to what I did to make these oh so DELICIOUS bagels (yes they taste
very good, especially for a plain bagel, and for me who always thought bagels were dry!)


 Let's get started!
I put yeast, sugar, & salt into bowl and then added hot water & mixed it then waited until it got foamy


I measured the beginning amount of flour & sifted the flour into a large mixing bowl

Then I poured the yeast mixture into the flour
Mix with an electric mixer for 30 seconds on low speed then 3 minutes on high


Add the remaining flour BIT BY BIT until it forms a ball, I use a fork to mix in the flour


 Knead dough until it is smooth & elastic, about 8 minutes Let rest for 15 minutes (somewhere warmish)

Cut dough in 1/2, then again etc until you have around 8-12 pieces (you decide what size you want for the bagels)    



Once they are shaped, let them rise in a warm place for 30 minutes

Bring to a boil a large pot with approx 4 liters of water with a good squirt of honey. Drop the dough in about 4 at a time and flip after 2 minutes then remove after 2 minutes with a slotted spoon & put onto a baking sheet.


Now on to baking!!
Place in oven & broil for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned on top then bake at 350F for another 5-10 minutes
Mmmm!



Recipe
  • Approximately 4 1/2 cups all purpose flour (preferably use a higher protein flour, but this is what I used)
  • 1 tbsp instant yeast (again I don't recommend using instant yeast but this is what I had)
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water
  • 3 tbsp white sugar
  • 1 tbsp salt
  • 1/4 cup liquid honey
  • I gallon or about 4 liters of boiling water in a large pot
Instructions (read blog  post :)
*Make sure you add the remaining flour bit by bit so the dough can absorb the flour as needed (I rushed & added almost too much at a time and took me extra time trying to get it elasticy)
*Honey is optional, you can also use a couple tbsp sugar or salt etc
*Add cinnamon, raisins, etc to dough or top with cheese or sesame seeds!

Enoy!! These are perfect warm with butter or just by themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment