I will be updating it and changing it a little.
This blog has been sitting for a little while now and I decided that I want to continue posting yummy recipes that I create/find and share it with the world.
Exciting news is that I have decided to study Culinary Management at a College next fall! I have already applied and cannot wait! It is a two year diploma that incorporates baking, cooking, and management.
Anyways, now onto the recipe. I really love this recipe. It is a little high in sugar but there is no added fat, the only fat comes from the egg-which is a healthy source of fat. Yet this cake is not dry at all-in fact no one can tell there is no oil or butter in it. The recipe is a lovely cake that can be served with coffee or tea or anytime for a wonderful treat. It is filled with spices-speculaas kruiden, a dutch spice blend with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and more. I will link the recipe to this page. This cake also features a lovely note of anise. Anise is my favourite flavouring of all when it comes to dessert! Best of all this cake is easy to make-all ingredients are combined in one bowl at once and then stirred until just mixed then baked in a loaf pan. Let's give it a try!
Speculaas Cake Extraordinaire!
You will need:
- 375 gr all-purpose flour (I want to try it with 1/2 whole wheat sometime-I think it will work great!)
- 250 gr brown sugar (use 300 gr for a cake that is sweeter, 250 gr works for a breakfast cake)
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 tsp Speculaas Kruiden ( linked below)
- 1 tsp anise extract (I added some anise seeds too)
- 1 large egg
- 150 ml water
- 175 ml milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Measure all ingredients and put into one large bowl ( I usually mix all dry first then add all the wet ones but this cake is not too picky!)
- Mix until just combined-do not over mix!!! This causes the cake to become hard, dense and dry.
- Put into a long loaf pan or cake pan
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes and 400 for 10 minutes
- Bake until tooth pick comes out clean
Speculaas Kruiden Recipe