Sunday, January 8, 2012

Upside Down Pear Tart

I am starting to love close-ups!

I was meaning to post this much sooner, but I ended up being much busier than I thought. I had to go skate shopping, and the nearest figure skating shop is about 75 minutes away. It turns out that the skates I had (size 7width C) were way too big. I have size 4 1/2 feet and really wide (quadruple E in skating size) So I had my feet measured for custom skates because there are no skates out there in that size!! I was ready to hear $1200 but she said I would probably end up paying around $700 **sigh of relief!**
Now about this delicious creation!
It is an upside down pear tart, although it tastes like cake to me. It has no pie crust.
I had a can of pear halves in the fridge for the longest time & it was desperately asking me to use it. I googled some pear recipes & finally came across this one.
I haven't visited this blog before and I hope they do not mind that I am linking theirs. I based my recipe on theirs.
http://maashaclay.wordpress.com/recipes/easy-pear-tart/

The recipe called for fresh pear, that isn't too soft, but these soft canned pears worked very well! One can is perfect.

Slice each pear into decent size slices. Arrange them nicely on the bottom of a spring form pan (I didn't grease it)


Cream the margarine, sugar then add eggs, vanilla and mix until just combined. No need to over mix.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt & ginger
Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until just combined.
Add the milk
 Beat the dough (it will seem runny (i decreased amount of milk) but will stiffen by the time you pour it into the pan)
Pour batter on top of the pear slices & carefully use spatula to flatten & distribute batter to edges.
Bake in a preheated oven at 400F for 20-25 minutes, cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350  until ready (poke with toothpick, if toothpick comes out clean, it is read)
Take a knife and loose around edges take of the side panel, then place a plate on top of cake and turn it over. Carefully loosen metal plate and carefully lift off.
 Done!!!

 Upside Down Pear Tart
  • 1 cup all purpose flour ( feel free to try cake flower)
  • 2 tbsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground ginger

    • 1 large can of pear halves or 4-5 ripe pears peeled & cored

    • 3 tbsp. Margarine ( can sub butter) 
    • 3/4 cup Sugar
    • 1 Whole Egg & 1 Egg yolk (yolk will hold together the cake nicely! & add creaminess!)
    • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
    • 3/4 cup 2% Milk (I do not recommend using low fat or skim milk, due to small amount of butter)
    Follow instructions in post to make this perfect :)
    ** pretty low cal as it only uses 3 tbsp margarine!


No comments:

Post a Comment